Saturday, March 2, 2013

More Than Midnight, by Brian James Freeman

I don't know if writing short stories takes more finesse than longer fiction, but it is definitely a different kind of writing, and not all writers do it well. In a novel, you can spend a good deal of time building up the atmosphere, as well as developing your characters. In a short story, you have no time you can waste, and every word has to count.
I have enjoyed Brian's long fiction, the novella Blue November Storms, and his short novel The Painted Darkness. Both of which are fine examples of the mastery he exhibits over the written word. And for me, it's all about the story. Brian James Freeman doesn't disappoint.
More Than Midnight is a collection of 5 stories, with an introduction by Michael Koryta. I had read 2 of the stories previously in the anthologies they had originally been released in. But to be honest, I never mind re-reading a good story. In fact, I almost always find it makes me appreciate the story even more than the first time I read it. And that, folks, is one of criteria for an outstanding story.
There are no "Missed the Mark" stories here. I liked them all. For me, the difference between a good story and a great story, is where the story leaves you. If everything is tied up in a neat bow, well, that's not as memorable as one that leaves you thinking, about what happens next, about the final state of the character/characters, and about possiblities hinted at. And these are definitely stories that don't just put a chill in your blood, but leave you pondering. I will tell you that my favorite story was Answering the Call. But between you and me, if you read any one of these stories, you're gonna' want to read the rest. Of course, if you're into romance stories, these are most likely not for you. Although, there is a touch of romance in the 4rth story, Pulled Into Darkness. But I don't think it would be the kind a romance lover would appreciate. Trust me.  

No comments: