Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mr. Gaunt & Other Uneasy Encounters by John Langan

I have always had a weakness for the classic ghost story. And one of the most recent writers of such, is John Langan. He has been influenced by the storytelling of writers like M. R. James, and Henry James. His debut collection, Mr. Gaunt and other uneasy encounters, was published by Prime in 2008, and received a starred review from Publisher's Weekly, as well as high praise from Elizabeth Hand, Lucius Shepard, Realms of Fantasy, among others. 
The collection has an introduction by Elizabeth Hand, and contains 5 stories, all but one of which, are of novelette or novella length. It also includes story notes by the author. The first tale is a unique one, about a different sort of Mummy, "On Skua Island". "Mr. Gaunt" tells a story of curious children and a rather stern manservant, but I can say no more about that. Let it suffice to mention that it was atmospheric, and did get its measure of tension, as well as a couple of pints of blood. "Tutorial" is a tale about learning how to write according to the rules, and what might happen if you don't. And I think you might want to stick to the rules. And then there's "Episode Seven: Last Stand Against The Pack In The Kingdom Of The Purple Flowers", a gripping post-apocalyptic story, that in part was influenced by Dale Bailey's "The End Of The World As We Know It", which was published in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. "Episode Seven" would have been an interesting basis for a graphic telling, although not at all necessary for to truly enjoy it. And finally, there is "Laocoon, or The Singularity", which happens to be about the dangers of taking home a seemingly abandoned statue from an alley, and trying to make it into art. I can't say anymore about that, either. But do let me say, that it is nothing like any Trojan Horse tale you have ever heard. In his story notes, the author does say, along with "Episode Seven", he did work in a lot of popular culture that he grew up with, like Marvel Comics and Star Wars. Enough about that.
The amazing thing about this collection is that I really cannot, for the life of me, pick a favorite. I loved every one. I will probably not be able to pass up anything yet to be published by John Langan. Just what I need. Another author whose books I can't resist. Damn. 
Anyroad, I already have a first edition of his debut novel, House Of Windows, which I haven't read, yet, but will soon, I imagine. In the meantime, I would have to say that this collection foretells of wonderful things to come.   

No comments: