Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Still Alive, Still Reading...

Many moons have passed. Harry was a cockatiel who saved my life, or at least kept me alive. I had to have him put to sleep because of what the vet believed was probably a brain tumor. He started having seizures about a year and a half ago. We were trying to find a medication that would limit the seizures and wouldn't prevent him from maintaining his equilibrium. A couple of months later he began to slowly lose control of his motor skills until he couldn't stand on a perch, and finally he wasn't able to eat. Having him put to sleep was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Next time I will tell of how Harry came into my life, how I saved his life, & how he saved mine.
Now, a book review. One of my favorite author's is Connie Willis, whether she is telling a serious and dramatic tale, or one of romantic comedy. One of the best collections I have ever read was the Winds of the Marble Arch, published by Subterranean Press. All the stories were high caliber. It was not inexpensive, I believe I paid $95, and was worth every penny. I have also closely followed her time travel novels & stories from The Doomsday Book to the more recent To Say Nothing of the Dog. The first was an award winning novel about going back to the plague years, & the last a wonderful romantic comedy of errors. I highly recommend all her books. Until next time, be well, read 'em if you got 'em.

No comments: