Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I just read Grey by Jon Armstrong. I was impressed, no, I was struck, by the book. It was a sharp look at shallow characters in a greedy & corrupt corporate world. The author had a way of creating a very visual story with his use of description. The story never let go. Even at those moments I found very little to like about the characters, I couldn't put it down.
I don't want to give any of the plot away, but this was a rather bizarre love story for one thing. Think in terms of Romeo & Juliet, each with a father that runs competing coporations. Corporate assassins, espionage, betrayal and revenge are the order of the day, and it's quite a strange day. Sometime in a bleak but colorful future.
It's also a coming of age tale of the protagonist, Michael. He has a lot of reality to face, and growing to do. Although, where this leads him, I will leave to you to discover, and how much actual growth takes place, you can decide.
I finished the book last night under the constant harassment of my cockatiel, Harry. He believes books are only good for chewing on.
I still am not sure how I feel about the book, but it was ingenius. Very hard to describe. What comes to mind is Shakespeare on acid with shades of William Gibson & Neal Stephenson, with a taste of The Naked Lunch thrown in for good measure, and that doesn't really do it justice. One thing I can say, is that it's a work of art, and even for those who find it hard to enjoy it still has a lot to say, or rather, to experience.
Harry is now insisting upon a head rub, and I, after all, am just the servant here.

No comments: